Monday 30 May 2011

An iPhone/iPad Audio App Wish





I just got the iRig Recorder app for the iPhone, it's as the name suggests an app that records audio. iRig Recorder is aimed at the spoken word (IK Multimedia have other apps aimed at vocals and instruments). Like a lot of apps in the app store there is a free and a paid for version (£2.99).
But I don't want to turn this into a review of the app, I want to speak about the export options. iRig Recorder will allow me to export my recordings via email, iTunes File Sharing, Wi-fi, FTP upload and SoundCloud.
FiRe another iPhone recording app allows me to export using FTP, SoundCloud or Wi-fi. WavePad allows me to export via FTP and email. And finally GarageBand allows me to export via email or iTunes.
Have you noticed something missing from these apps export options? Yep why can't I export to DropBox?
Now I don't expect GarageBand to support DropBox, well it is Apple, and they have their own versions, sadly not available in GarageBand.
It would be nice if these sound recording app developers would offer DropBox. It's not as if adding support for it would cost them anything, the api is free after all.
What would be nice is if something like WavePad had DropBox support for importing files as well. How bloody useful would that be? Very, imagine recording with something like FiRe or iRig Recorder, process briefly in app, export to DropBox and then import into WavePad for editing. That would be a fantastic audio workflow.

For me this sort of integration and functionality would turn these apps from good apps into great apps, that would be indispensable when it comes to the classroom and recording podcasts with students.

- Posted using BlogPress from my Acorn Atom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Imagine recording with something like FiRe or iRig Recorder, process briefly in app, export to DropBox and then import into WavePad for editing. That would be a fantastic audio workflow."

Imagine being able to save to a "Music" folder that all applications could read and write to like on every other device. *That* would be a fantastic audio workflow.