Tuesday 30 December 2008

Stage One Of Experiment: A New PC For Nath

Today I burnt the credit card and bought Nathan the gaming PC he wanted for Christmas. We went to PC World and chose a good spec'd PC. We needed at least 3GB RAM, 500GB+ of Hard Disk, a minimum of 512MB of on board video RAM on the video card. I knew this sort of PC was going to cost me more than 700 GBP. Which it did, we went for a HP Pavillion Elite PC. That came with 4GB RAM, 1TB of Hard Disk and 1024MB (which is a Gig) of on board video RAM. The only thing was that being an ex-display model (which meant was cheaper) there was no monitor. So we ended up getting a Samson 20" one.

This system should be good enough to allow Nathan to not worry about the hardware side of things when he wants to by a PC game. He normally plays the C&C games, or Star Wars ones in the same vein. He's also a big fan of the Battle For Middle Earth games, well you get the idea, basically the C&C style genre.

The PC also came with no speakers so I had to get some of them as well. So I went for a mid range set from Creative Labs (glad to see they are still going after all these years).

Other nice features of this new PC are that it comes with a Blu-ray player, has built in wifi, and the keyboard and mouse are wireless as well.

Next month I will be getting a web cam and setting Nathan up with Skype. Why? Well the intention wasn't just to buy a gaming PC but also something that Nathan could use to keep in contact with me after I move out.

While I think of it I will have to subscribe to a service like the Go To My PC so that I can do remote admin on Nath's pc after I move out. But I will investigate what options are out there in the next month.

No comments: