Thursday 11 December 2008

Wordpress Plugins That I Use

Over at my other blog (whitespider1066.com) I have just upgraded to the latest version of Wordpress which is 2.7. But that reminded me that I had promised myself that I would list the plugins I use on that blog. With whitespider1066.com being a self hosted Wordpress blog it means I have no restrictions on the plugins I can use. If I can download them and ftp them across then I can use them.

Anyway here is the current list of ones I use:

  • Akismet - this is a default one and has to be switched on. It keeps the amount of spam that appears on the blog down to zero.
  • Audio player - I installed this so that I could embed mp3 files into a posting. Only used so far to play the recordings of bats I did on a Bat Walk round Fleet Pond.
  • Blog Metrics - if you remember an article I linked to in a previous posting on Blog Metrics. Well this plugin produces those figures.
  • Contact Form II - I use this on my contact page to allow folks to send me an email if they wish.
  • FeedBurner FeedSmith - I started using Feedburner to track the true number of RSS readers I have (Google Reader will give you a figure for the number in Google Reader you have), and this plugin helped move folks over.
  • GeneralStats - another blog stats plugin.
  • Global Translator - I added this to cater more for the international readers of my blog. Why shouldn't they be able to read it in their own language?
  • Google Analytics For Wordpress - made integrating with Google Analytics so simple.
  • My Link Order - allows you to set the order in which links and link categories will appear in the sidebar.
  • ShareThis - not sure if anyone has ever used this. But it is there at the end of all posts just incase some-one wants to share the stuff I have written easily.
  • Similar Posts - Currently I'm not using this. I may switch it back on. Will run a poll with my readers to see if they used it. No-one has complained since I stopped using it!
  • StatPress - Real time blog stats. Very interesting to see what folks are currently looking at.
  • Subscribe To Comments - a requested feature. Which I think folks do find very very useful.
  • Wordpress Automatic Upgrade - a behind the scenes plugin that makes upgrades so so easy.
  • Wordpress Mobile Edition - I must try this sometime. But it is there for folks if they are viewing the blog via a mobile device.
  • WP-Polls - Embed polls in your blog. I've used this a few times. Great little plugin.

So for my fellow Wordpress users what plugins do you use? What have I missed out?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Solid list Darren. I also use Akismet, Contact Form II, FeedBurner, Google Analytics, Automatic Upgrade and ShareThis at OutdoorBlogger.com. The two that you do list that interest me are the Similar Posts and Subscribe to Comments plugins so I'll have to check them out. Others I use that might interest you are the following:

SEO Smart Links
This is a pretty cool one. Set words and phrases that can link back to more of your content, a different blog or website.

Twitter for WordPress
I've been testing this one as of late. I don't use it right now but it works like a charm with 2.7. You can post via a widget from your cellphone.

WordPress Database Backup
This is extremely useful. I set it to automatically backup and email me the sql file. Sweet!

All in One SEO Pack
I've used this in the past with some success. Those entries I did not use the plugin on did not show up in Google Alerts while those that I did use it on showed up much more often. The jury still out on this one but I do think it has a lot of potential.

Take care.

obman
OutdoorBlogger.com

BG! said...

When you've got Lester Chan's WP-PluginsUsed, listing your plugins is easy - have a gander at http://beardedgit.com/?page_id=481 and they're all listed there, complete with links.

Chris said...

Great list with some good ideas. I just implemented "Sharethis" on my blog. Very nice. Thanks.