Friday 2 October 2009

The Little Photo Lab On Your Phone

I wrote the following post for my blog whitespider1066.com but thought it may be of interest and totally suitable for the readers of here as well. I’ll apologise for those that read both for duplicating the post.Oh there is a difference for some reason WLW and blogger don’t like me posting images! SO I have had to remove the screen shots that I was able to post over on whitespider1066.com.

Roger in the comments on the post “The Best Camera” asked me what iPhone apps I used to generate the photo that I posted. I thought that this would be easier to answer with a blog post than with a comment. Well I wanted to break up the OTS coverage, and to post a couple of screen shots from the iPhone. Any ol’ excuse to be geeky really.

The iPhone I have is the 3G which has a 2 mega pixel camera, unlike the 3GS which has a 3 mega pixel camera that also shoots video. The other difference is that the camera on the 3GS also has an auto focus, plus you can also select the area to focus on by touching the point on the screen. So those with the 3GS should be getting better results than I can with my 3G.

The iPhone has some great apps to allow you to manipulate photos while away from your pc/Mac. Which makes it really useful when out on the hills or doing a multi-day hike to live blog and attach images to the post.

After taking the photo using the camera on my iPhone I then load the photo into Photogene. Photogene costs £1.79 from the App Store, but is a very handy power packed tool. For starters it allows you to crop and straighten a photo. Plus enhance photos with multiple colour adjustment options and a sharpen filter. You can also add effects like text balloons, frames or special filters.

So using Photogene I cropped the photo, used the auto colour correct, and applied a frame to the picture (in this case the sticky tape on the corners).

The resulting picture I saved and loaded in to Collage Lite. Collage Lite is the  free limited version of Collage. Lite versions are the way you get to try before you buy in the iPhone App Store world. In Collage Lite the limitations are that you are limited to four photos and that you don’t get the crop functionality. At the moment the Lite meets my needs, but the full blown version is only 59p so like a lot of iPhone apps not going to break the bank. So using Collage Lite I assembled the photos to make the simple collage that you saw.

As I commented on the blog posting I just thought that it would be a fun way to present the photos that I had taken on the iPhone. We need to have fun sometimes.

So there you have the two apps that I used for the picture I posted. However I have a couple of other apps that I use as well. The first app is Pano. This app allows you to take panoramic photos using the iPhone and costs £1.79 on the App Store.

So as you can see on this post I have screen shots of the iPhone. How did I do them and get them on my netbook so I can use them in this post?

To take a screen shot on the iPhone quickly press and release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. A white flash of the screen lets you know the screenshot was taken, you will also hear an audible queue as well. The screenshot just taken is then added to the Camera Roll on your iPhone. Simple and very handy.

I then had to get this onto my netbook. Sadly my netbook does not have iTunes on it, and I only sync my iPhone with my Macbook anyway. So how to transfer files? Dropbox that’s how. Dropbox gives you 2GB of free online storage, and they have just released a free iPhone app. So with a small install of the Dropbox software on my netbook and creating a free account I was able to sync the photos quickly across from the iPhone to the netbook to be used in this post.

CropForFree is a free app that allows you to crop an image. It is a new one that I have recently downloaded to have a  look at. But with cropping already in Photogene and in Collage (if I buy full version) unless this adds something really special I can see this one being deleted from my iPhone. But still a handy one to know about if you want to crop without splashing out any cash.

Another app I have just downloaded is NoiseBlaster at 59p. It’s by the same author as Photogene, so it has a good pedigree. As the author describes it “NoiseBlaster implements an advanced algorithm, specifically designed to remove the noise created by the iPhone camera”.

So I hope that answered your question, and I haven’t bored you.

No comments: