Tuesday 1 December 2009

The Song Remains The Same

only the tech changes. Don’t know the game my cousin and brother are playing but that is a Commodore 64 they are playing on. That’s me behind the door reading a gaming magazine of the time.

scan0002

So why did I post this blast from the past? It’s probably one of the only pictures I have that shows or captures the home computing boom of the 80’s, and what a geeks room at the time looked like.

I had a wall of computer and gaming magazines. Ranging from Byte,PCW,C&VG,Zzap64,Crash,Big K,Your Sinclair plus others. My gaming hero and still is, is Jeff Minter of Llamasoft fame.

It was a time of fun and variety. People pushed the limits of the hardware. Every other game redefined what people thought was possible. We were exploring an undiscovered country.

Somewhere down the line we seem to have lost that fun element. After the bean counters took over it became a business, the fun disappeared. The industry went from being a child to being an adult. Was it for the better? I don’t know.

At the moment an element of that fun has been starting to make a come back in the form of the mobile phone market. For the time being large and small teams have an equal opportunity for getting their efforts out to the public. How long this remains for I don’t know. But for the time being let’s enjoy it and once more remember those good ol’ days (which is why I buy Retro Gamer trying to remember those fond memories).

No comments: