Wednesday 22 October 2008

Blogger Less Than Perfect

I've added a contact section on the right. But it's not perfect. In fact just to get that was a hassle.

The widget that is available is unusable and complains that the email address is not valid in an annoying dialog box that won't go away.

So you have to resort to hacks, which are less than perfect and mostly rely on third parties. I don't like relying on third parties for something so important as this (I know I using a third party to host the blog).

In the end I had to hack some JavaScript I found on the web to get what you see now. So you get a form, that then makes a call to your default email client to populate an email for you when you click submit. Which you then have to click send on. What a pain. I can see myself taking the template and then hosting pages on the whitespider1066.com site to give me functionality I can't have on Blogger like pages, and contact forms!

So what's all this about not having pages in Blogger? Really this is a basic functionality that should be available without having to fiddling it. Placing a post in the far and distant past and linking to it is not good enough.

Oh well what did I expect for a free service?

No comments: