Tuesday 21 October 2008

Dimdim Free Online Meetings

See there is a positive side to following people on Twitter. If I hadn't been following Kathy Johnson I would of missed finding out about this great open source site for those that want to host web meetings called Dimdim.
I've been thinking of this sort of thing since Leo Laporte started running spots for a sponsor of his shows called GoToMeeting. You can sign up for a 30 Day Free Trial etc. But there was a nagging doubt about just what, how, could I use it? That put me off signing up. I just didn't want to waste the free trial period.
From the look of it Dimdim looks a great alternative. All I have to do now is work out how I can use this technology that works for my needs at the moment.

PS. Looking at the GoToMeeting site they also do another useful product called GoToWebinar for Webinars. I wonder if there is an open source version of this in development?

3 comments:

Andy Howell said...

checked out Stikkit yet?

A great collaborative working Web 2 App.

Darren Christie said...

I'll look at it this week. Is it any good? How much have you used it?

Andy Howell said...

I actually use it quite a lot when I'm having to move between macs and windoze machines. It works by using pretty standard language but you quickly get the hang of it.
I came across it through Merlin Mann's excellent 43 Folders site, which focuses on productivity. If you haven't discovered this yet you should quickly!